|Regulations for Prisoners
Below is the text of a manuscript typed by the Japanese and given to each P.O.W. This explains why the English is a bit different.
COMMANDER OF THE PRISONER ESCORT
REGULATIONS FOR PRISONERS
1. THE PRISONERS DISOBEYING THE FOLLOWING ORDERS WILL BE PUNISHED WITH IMMEDIATE DEATH.
2. Since the boat is not well equipped and inside being narrow, food being scarce and poor, you'll feel uncomfortable during the short time on the boat. Those losing patience and disordering the regulation will be heavily punished for the reason of not being able to escort.
3. Be sure to finish you "nature's call". Evacuate the bowels and urin, before embarking.
4. Meal will be givin twice a day. One plate only to one prisoner. The prisoners called by the guard will give out the meal quick as possible and honestly. The remaining prisoners will stay in their places quietly and waite for your plate. Those moving from their places reaching for your plates without order will be heavily punished. Same orders will be applied in handling plates after meal.
5. Toilets will be fixed at the four corners of the room. The buckets and cans will be placed. When filled up a guard will appoint a prisoner. The prisoner called will take the buckets to the center of the room. The buckets will be pulled up by the derrick and be thrown away. Toilet papers will be given. Everyone must cooperate to make the room sanitary. Those being careless will be punished.
6. Navy of the Great Japanese Empire will not try to punish you all with death. Those obeying all the rules and regulations, and believing the action and purpose of the Japanese Navy, cooperating with Japan in constructing the "New Order of the Great Asia" which lend to the world's peace will be well treated.